Friday, April 2, 2021

Southwest 100 Endurance Run

Southwest 100

Fort Davis, TX | My 74th ultramarathon

I've had my eye on this race for a bit now as it is another mountain race right here in Texas put on by Ultra Expeditions. If anyone knows me and my love of the mountain races it would make sense. I have never actually been down to this part of Texas, although I have driven by the turnover on I-10 many times when travelling to El Paso a few different times now. In fact I didn't even realize this was a relatively new race. This year was only the second edition, as it started originally in 2019, and was subsequently cancelled in 2020 due to COVID as most races were. None the less I signed up for the race only a couple weeks in advance, as per my usual last minute protocol on race planning. Luckily my wife gave the blessing as I had hinted at the idea (but I had already entered when I approached her upon this).

Race Weekend

I had taken off the Friday from work so I could travel to West Texas and get there for the early packet pickup so I would not be super rushed on race morning. Plus this would give m the bonus of sleeping close to the race and hopefully getting a good night sleep nearby the start. 02:00 on Friday I was awoken by my preset alarm and out of the house by 02:30. My wife was so amazing to have set the coffee machine onto a timer so I was able to have a fresh cup of hot coffee on the road (a true must for any road trip, no matter the distance). As it was about a 10 hour commute to Fort Davis from Sugar Land the miles chugged along. Eventually I got there and was now back in the mountain playground. Naturally once I got there I took the opportunity to get in my daily run. I went into the Fort Davis State Park and ventured around the Indian Lodge area. This was a portion of the course I would be on tomorrow. I basically took it super chill and just hiked with a little jogging, I was playing it smart for once. The views were gorgeous as it was a nice clear warm afternoon.

The road view coming into Fort Davis, TX area.

Pre race shakeout hike/jog. Pictured below is Indian Lodge located within Fort Davis State Park.

After wandering around for a few miles I waddled back to my car and then headed over to the packet pickup to get my bib number. After that I headed back into town for some pizza and much needed per race fueling. I found myself a nice parking spot next to a local hotel and adjacent bar patio type area. I perched my sleeping arrangements here, as I was full dirt bag style this trip and sleeping in my car....again. A decent sleep was had for staying in my backseat set up. I woke up every couple hours, but honestly it was one of the better rests I've had in my car (I've had quite a few before races, even 100 milers like this).

03:45 am wake up and I sprung out of my backseat as nimbly as I could. I headed down the road for the 3 minute drive to the Fort Davis National Historic Site as it was open to us racers as of 04:00 for last minute check-in and to get ready for the 05:00 start. I set out my one and only Victory Sportdesign drop bag positioned at the start finish area as this is a looped course, which makes it very easy for self crewing. I lined up in the 39 starters of the 52 mi & 104 mi event. Paired up 6 feet apart were we stated in those pairs every 5 seconds to help space everyone out as per the protocols. As per the norm these days everyone also had to have their masks on until we were away from the start area. Off we went into the crisp morning Texas mountain air.

The loop was listed at 13 miles which started in Fort Davis National Historical Site climbed up and out of that area and traversed over to Fort Davis State Park where did a larger figure 8 type loop and doubled back into the Historical Site for a small nasty little loop in the rock formation behind and overlooking Fort Davis itself. Overall it ended up being 13.35 miles with about 2,375 ft of gain per loop.

STRAVA segment of the Southwest 100 loop. The elevation profile shows just how steep the climbs were even if they were not super long, they beat you up after a while.

The route consisted of 4 main climbs. Overall there short (~0.5mi), but very steep and technical (pointy). It made it slow going up & down those every loop. Overall we were at same basic elevation of El Paso too at ~5,200ft so there is that big difference from the Houston area, but never got above 5,600ft. It was a tough mountain course though!

As the race started off I stayed relaxed and did not initially head to the front of the pack. during the first climb a little ways into the race I was still behind a bunch of people and just reminded myself to stay patient, as I often have issues with this even in the longer races. Eventually a lot of people moved over or slowed down and just naturally let me by. I was following the leader for the majority of the first full loop and was just settled into a nice relaxed 100 mile pace for me. Coming through the first loop it was just past sunrise now so I took very little time and basically dropped my headlamp and changed into a slightly lighter feeling long sleeve rabbit shirt.

The second loop went by quite quickly as well and I found myself falling back from the leader, although I did not feel it was because my pace was slowing. About two thirds the way around the loop I caught back up again on one of the longer climbs. I just stayed behind him and maintained a comfortable pace for the remainder of the loop. Another quick change over in between loops and I trimmed down to short sleeves this time, and brought out my sunglasses as the sun was getting up there. I kept my stop under 5 minutes and kept on truckin'.

I am not entirely sure where I passed the race leader and took over, but it about half way around loop 3. I tried to kept my pace constant and maintain my even perceived 100mi effort. The sun was out and there was literally zero clouds in the sky. It was still comfortable running temperatures at this point, but I knew that would be coming to and end soon. Loop 4 is where the sun and the heat of the day really showed its force. I had my NATHAN ice bandana out and was putting ice around my neck from the aid stations trying to keep the back of my neck cool. I was sucking back the fluid too and doing my best to stay hydrated, but at these elevations and heat it is hard for a flat lander. My pace slowed a lot in these warm late afternoon hours but I knew I just had to slog through. I completed my 4th loop, the halfway point, just after 12 hours elapsed. I knew this was a decent pace but that I probably would not be able to hold the same effort for the second half. I have run a lot of 100s now and I know how my pace eventually slows. But I tried not to think of this and quickly shed the thought from my mind. I took a longer break this time, around 20 minutes, and downed some of my left over pizza from the night before and a nice cold Coca-Cola, along with a few other snacks. I did change socks too at this point which was a great refreshing feeling for my beat up feet.

Heading out for loop 5 I did bring a headlamp in case I need it for the last few miles in case I could not beat sunset. I was still in front at this point and noticed the second place person was slowly falling back as we passed each other on the 2-way section of the course. I used this as a mental note more than anything at this point in time, as it was too early to worry about overall positioning quite yet. The latter half of this loop the sun was slowly falling down behind me in the West as I was headed back eastbound at the time. With this the temperature was finally falling and added some relief to the body. I was nearly back to the start/finish before the sun's light had left us for the night time hours. I utilized my headlamp briefly to navigate the remaining technical climb and decent before getting back and finishing loop 5. only 3 to go.

With the darkness upon me I did something I rarely do...I put in my headphones and listened to some podcasts to help keep me company. The course was much less populated and I was seeing less and less people out there at all, except at the aid stations long the way. The night hours went by consistently although there was a about 2 hour period where the wind picked up and it was pretty brutal out. Luckily it was not a super cold wind, even when at the top of the hills. Finishing loop 7 I came in just over 25 hours, so it was around 06:00 on Sunday now. I dropped off my light jacket I was carrying for the night and headed back out for one last lap. The RD informed me there was only 3 people left on course, which made complete sense as to why I was never seeing anyone anymore. She told me I had about 1.5 hour lead at last check.

On the night loops. That is my headtorch in the hills there as viewed from the start/finish area.
Photo: Ultra Expeditions (from their Facebook page).

Off I went for a measly half marathon to go. It seemed to take forever now that I was actively looking forward to that finish line. Eventually I made it around and saw the finish area with my small little 3 mile loop left around the Historical Site. It was at this point I knew I would manage to break the 30 hour barrier. I came around the last stretch to a few people out and about cheering me in and the race even had up a Facebook live going for the  last couple of minutes (this was awesome as I would later find out my wife and kids managed to see me finish this way). I was not really near my goal of 24 hours for this race, but I managed to run a good race and be the first ever finisher of the Southwest 100 Endurance Run in 29:26:25.

Finishing kick coming through fort Davis National Historical Site.

Finish line with 2 of the 4 Ultra Expedition Race Directors

My stats on my Garmin fēnix 6X and the nice shiny buckle earned!

Gear Used

  • Gear Bags: Victory Sportdesign Grizzly backpack (Main Start/Finish aid station)
  • Jackets: rabbit elements vest
  • Shirts: rabbit long sleeve rabbitELITEtrail team jersey, a couple other rabbit shirts
  • Shorts: rabbit 5" FKT
  • Shoes: HOKA ONE ONE Speedgoat (test pair)
  • Socks: DrymaxSocks (2 pairs)
  • Headwear: rabbit (BOCO) rabbitELITEtrail cap, Trail Racing Over Texas endurance cap
  • Sunglasses: goodr (TransRockies Run 2019 edition)
  • Watch: Garmin fēnix® 6X - Pro Solar Edition
  • Headlamp: Nathan Sports Halo Fire
  • Hydration: Nathan Sports VaporKrar 12L Race Pack with x2 20oz Nathan soft flasks
  • Other: rabbit (BOCO) gloves
  • Anti Friction lube: Trail Toes

Results & Data

Official Results: 1st overall. Only 3 finishers out of 25 started for the 104 miler (12% finisher rate | 88% DNF rate). In 2019 during the first edition of the race no one finished the 100, and thus by default I got the Course Record as well by being the first finisher of the race.

  • Congratulations to the other 2 finishers of the race Tom Elliot & Miles Benevich.

STRAVA activity: https://www.strava.com/activities/5027953623

Love my post race data.

  • my 74th ultramarathon run
  • my 22nd event of 100 miles or more
  • my 20th completion of 100 miles or more
  • my 11th ultramarathon victory
----- ----- ----- ----- -----

If you want to know more about this race I highly recommend it. They have a great little teaser video on their website and on YouTube highlighting some of the course and scenery. If you like a challenge I would say come take on the Southwest 100 ... 104mi ... err 107.5 mile Endurance Run! It is a very scenic area and a race that will challenge even the seasoned ultra runner.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

My updated 100mi+ buckle collection with my latest edition of the Southwest 100 in place. I have now completed 20 100 mile (or greater) events. This one of a kind buckle display was handcrafted for me by my dad, as he is very handy.

Next up: The Game Backyard Ultra (Spectrum Trail Racing), 17-Apr-2021

Cocodona 250 (Aravaipa Running), 03-May-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment