Tuesday, June 18, 2019

100 Miles is not that far...or is it?

Jackalope Jam 24hr | Ultramarathon #036

Exactly 14 days from my completion out west in El Paso I was now here lined up in Cat Spring, TX at the 7IL Ranch to run a 24 hr timed ultra. My goal was simple I was aiming for 100 miles within the 24 hr time period just to see if I could do it so soon after the biggest run of my life.

About 3 days after returning home from El Paso I managed to start my active recovery which help lead to this decision. A mere few days removed from the Franklins 200, I somehow had convinced myself I needed another buckle already for the 2019 year. Jackalope Jam could not be more opposite of run from coming the Franklin Mountains in west Texas. This race is held on a private ranch and is a very flat course which presents it own challenge of a simple 0.5mi out & 0.5mi back.
Jackalope Jam course | Photo: STRAVA
I took this challenge on knowing i could run the distance. In fact a few of my Team TROT teammates were also doing the Franklins/JJ double. Matt Zmolek & Dena Carr were both aiming for another 200mi run within the 72hr run. Luis Murillo was going to be running the 24hr as well with me. A lot of the team was also there so it was a great Team atmosphere.
Team TROT at the 7IL Ranch for Jackalop Jam. 8/14 team was here. | (L to R: Katie Graff, Meg Reed, Jenna Jurica, Dena Carr, Shandra Moore, Trevor Meding, Luis Murillo, Matt Zmolek) | Photo: unknnown. 
Running the race started off good as I started at 09:00 Saturday morning with my family there supporting me. This was the perfect race to have them here, as my kids got to see me every 10 minutes or so based on the short out and back course profile. One of the best parts about running ultras for me is being able to see my kids and their pure joy and smiles. My family always give me boost, and this race was no different.
My 3 oldest daughters cheering me on at the start of the day | Photo: Katie Meding

Format of this race is very casual and so some family members hike a mile or come cheer out on the 0.5mi path. My daughters here ran out and paced me for a bit running around the field. I'm pictured here venturing over to them for  a quick hug, heading back to the road | Photo: Katie Meding
Quick foot rub by my awesome crew | Photo: Trevor Meding
My wife and family went home for some sleep and I was still going somewhat strong into the evening hours. I never really had doubts I was not going to complete the 100 miles, but it certainly was getting harder as my legs began to feel all the mileage. Running this far on flat distance also is a challenge since you as continue to utilize the same muscle groups for the entire time. The night hours went by slow and steady. I took a lot of walk break and the ease of the aid every 1.0mi made stopping an all too easy option. However the bean & cheese quesadillas kept me fueled quite well.

The light was coming up over the horizon and I was getting closer. I knew that I would easily make more 100mi within the 24hr, however I was still moving slow. I alternated walk and run intervals and got the mileage done in 22:24:07. As soon as I crossed that timing mat, I informed Rob Goyen, the RD, I was done and happy with my 100mi as that was my goal. I think i was in 2nd or 3rd at this point, but i gave up the podium spot and 3 people passed my mileage over the last hour and half. I went over to my chair and grabbed some more food as I was content achieving my goal. My family had arrived again here in the morning and so I began to celebrate with them and enjoy the accomplishment.
Buckle time! Ultra #036 | Photo: Katie Meding
Finishing this race was a great experience and showed me a lot in terms of a mental challenge. I am very thankful that my kids and wife were able to come out and experience a big part of this race with me since it was close to home.
#ultrarunningdad getting high fives from my favorite cheer team | Photo: Katie Meding

Thank you to my supporters this season!



No comments:

Post a Comment