Monday, August 21, 2023

Chasing Buckles Q1

 12-in-12 Q1 Update

Well here we are 3 months already gone into my year long personal project: #12-in-12. This is a quick summary of where I stand and what is to come. As you can see I still have not finalized a lot of my schedule, but my ideas list has changed slightly narrowing it down to what I hope to aim for. As I confirm registrations, I will add them on my CV page under "upcoming races".



Ring the Springs 100

  • went as well as I could hope. Travelling to Colorado for the weekend and performing well at altitude is always nice. Getting to the play in the Rockies is a true gift, and I can not wait till next time. A solid 4th place overall there was a great result as well.
  • Race Report: Ring the Springs 100Mi

Tahoe 200

  • A blessing in disguise as getting into this event late due to the 2023 date change combined with my unfortunate cancellation/delay of AC100 led me to get into Tahoe. This has been on my bucket list for a while and was worth it for sure. Running in the high Sierra alpines and terrain was spectacular.  My only wish is that the course was still the full loop. I was still modified due to closure of wilderness area and was not the full loop around the lake - perhaps reason to go back one year.
  • Race Report: Holy Shit That Is A Big Lake
  • Podcast: Texas Outlaw Running Talk Show, EP #34 | YouTube version: Tahoe 200 Mile Finisher - Trevor Meding - YouTube

Habanero Hundred

  • I was humbled here with only my 4th Did Not Finish (D.N.F.) in my time of ultrarunning. I knew this one would be tough with the dryness and extreme summer heat Texas has been having. Sandwiching this event between two 200s might not have been the best choice but it was so coinvent being only an hour from our house. On hindsight I wish I had chosen another mountain one in Colorado instead, but scheduling did not allow.
  • Race Report: What A Dumb Idea

----- ----- ----- ----- -----


With my DNF am I done with my 12-in-12? Should I just quit? Absolutely not. I will continue on and finish what I started. Just becausee I "failed" at one race does not define me nor my ultrarunning at all. We have all been in this sport long enough and well a DNF is just part of the game when you are in these long distances. Thus far I have been fortunate to have very few and so it does feel weird and disappointing when they do occur. My ultimate goal is to be a member of the 100 x 100 club and so chasing buckles is what I am going to continue to do. Onward and upward I go....

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

1 comment:

  1. Great summary! Well done and a DNF when it’s that hot is only human! See you soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete