Thursday, April 7, 2022

Southwest 100 D.N.F.

SW100

ultramarathon #087 | D.N.F. #003

A nice little trip out west proved a draw to my psyche as “the mountains were calling” as they say. I had been to Fort Davis last year to run Southwest 100 put on by Ultra Expeditions, and it being a very reasonable priced race (even on the cheaper side of average). I decided to make the 9 hour commute to attempt it for the second time this March. My fitness is not peaked by any means, but I did run last month and complete a 95 Mi effort out in Louisiana (Red Dirt). This being the case heading west to the Rockies always presents challenges for someone living at basically sea level: altitude, dry air, and vertical gain!

Once I had gotten to Fort Davis I took Friday afternoon to set up my single tent and go for a little shakeout hike and run. The afternoon was cloudless, and the heat of the sun felt quite intense. This pushed the thought of how hard tomorrow during the day would be on the exposed terrain of the Southwest course. The temperatures of 70s-80s up at the altitude just feels so much penetrating on exposed skin.

The morning of the race everyone was busing around getting their drop bags set at the aid station at the start-finish. We would be passing though many times over (six times in fact) for the 100 milers as the course was 7 loops to complete. This feature of a moderate length loop also makes self-crewing very easy for a 100 miler. It was a chilly 40f something in the wee hours prior to the start. I was staying warm in my puffy until the pre-race brief. This was my attempt to keep my body temperature regulated until I started moving. Heading into the race I was standing here hoping to be back with a finish in 24 hours from now.

View of Fort Davis Historical Site up from the nature trails.

LOOP 1 

There was 24 runners at the start line for the 05:00 send off: 14 100-milers & an additional 10 50-milers. With any small ultra race the start was not hectic or anything of the sort, but more of a casual start to your typical weekend long run just with a little more group enthusiasm. 

The headtorches lite the way for the majority of the entire first loop as the sunrise was not until 07:53. I recall the exact time because I have it set on my watch in my ultra mode in order to be aware when I need my lights in my pack and such. Climbing up and back out of the Fort Davis National Park and crossing back into the Historical Site the sun was creeping up in the distance giving the eastward horizon a gorgeous morning orange glow. Moments like these are just awesome as you are moving through nature on your own feet and get to just embrace the entrance of the sun signaling the start of a new day. Running back down the technical descent into the Historical site you approach a small aid station with still 2.5 miles to go where you wind around the old historical buildings then a quick trip up the nature trails which includes a straight up section (including stairs) which is about 500 feet gain before coming around and back down into the finish.

I came across the timing mat at basically 3 hours on the nose and this was my goal time for that first loop. I figured if I could do the first in 3 hours and then every other loop at 3.5 hours I would have a crack at the 24 hour time goal I had in my head.

LOOP 2

A quick turn around at the start finish at my Victory Sportdesign Grizzley bag, I dropped off my headlamp, changed out of my long sleeves I had with me and changed into my rabbitELITEtrail short sleeve team jersey. I also grabbed a pair of goodr sunglasses as the sun was now rising steadily. I took off back out on the course with a purposeful slower pace now shooting for the 3.5 hour loop time to set myself up for success…hopefully. The climbs were a little slower this go around but I kept my pace steady. No major issues occurred on this loop and I continued to run basically the entire loop. The sun was letting us know its presence for sure as again there was no clouds to diffuse the sun rays. I had settled into my slightly slower pace and came in on the loop close to that 3.5 hour mark. Two loops done, 5 to go.

LOOP 3

My legs felt a little heavy after all the climbing and descending thus far, but I was trying to push that thought out of my head. I looked down and saw faint signs of salty sweat stains on my race vest. The heat and altitude combination was wearing me down and it was only starting to now get into the heat of the afternoon. I took some extra time at the aid station and hydrated the best I could – I downed a nice cold Coca-Cola before heading out. I also took my ice bandana with me to keep my neck cold. Something did not feel right. I knew I was in for a battle. Onward I went back out for another 14.3 Mi loop. My goal again was a slow and steady 3.5 hour time frame. After the first major limb on the loop my calves felt gassed. I tried to jog it out but just could not hold even a steady jog pace. I resorted to a power hike on some of the runnable terrain, which also meant I was now losing time on my loop time I was shooting for. It took awhile before I could run again but then before I knew it I was at the bottom of the next big climb and had to hike again anyway all the way up. This time I felt some twinges in my legs as I was making the long ascent. These were the dreaded precursors to full on cramps. I downed all the fluids I had took a salt tab and one of my gels as well in order to be proactive as I could. A little miss step dodging some larger rocks in the terrain and next thing I knew I stumbled forward, and both my legs locked up…ouch! I slowed my pace even further, which was pretty hard to do at this point.

After finally cresting the summit of this climb within the National Park I headed slowly down the steep switchbacks on the other side. This proved tricky as my legs began to cramp more on the descents. At one point both legs locked up so bad I had to turn around and face up hill putting all my weight on my toes in order to counter flex my calf muscles to get them to release. This is a painful situation until they finally release, for anyone not privy to having experienced this. I essentially hiked down the rest of the way and my loop time was inevitably becoming much longer than anticipated. In fact I came in over just over 5 hours as I was not able to get much running in at all after this.

I took a nice long break after this loop trying to hydrate as much as I could before heading back out. I was not happy about my legs and trying to work my way through it. I put on my stubborn mindset and got ready for a forth loop.

LOOP 4

With the damage of the heat and cramping on loop 3, I was just trying to work my way back to actual running again. I walked the initial 0.5 Mi of the loop and hiked up the first climb, hoping that by the time I reached the top all the caloric intake and hydrating I did would kick in and help me get back on track. Sadly this did not happen as I hoped. I trudged on slowly hiking and slow jogging, downing lots of fluids but nothing seemed to be working. There was still a few hours of sun exposure at this point and I just hoped that sunset would bring some relief so that was my next thought: just make it through the remainder of the daylight. At point my legs got twinges again, and I even had some side cramps in my abs (i.e. my core). I knew this was a bad sign. I stopped and took my time at the aid stations. Again, nothing was working. I tried pickle juice, bananas, salt tabs, lots of water, electrolytes, and yet nothing was helping my body work through this.

I was moving so slow that my attempted jog wasn’t even much faster than my hiking pace. Luckily I was smart enough to bring my headlamp with me in case the loop carried over into darkness. Sure enough I needed that light for the last third of the loop or so as I snaked my way around back into the Historical Site again finishing up the nature trail loop section again before returning to the start/finish area. Loop 4 nearly took me 6 hours to complete those 14.3 Mi. Brutal! I was beat mentally and physically as my body still randomly was seizing up and cramping. The sunset and cooler temperatures had not brought any relief to my agonizing death march I was on.

I sat down slumped in my chair. It was cold and chilly once I stopped moving. I made a quick decision that I was going to sit in my car and warm up. I let the race directors know and walked the few hundred yards down the path into the lot where I was parked. I bundled up with a jacket and hat, and got in my passenger set with a blanket. I closed my eyes and slept for about 30 minutes once I was able to find a position my legs didn’t seize up.

I awoke in a slight chill under the blankets as I was sweating slightly on my under layers covered up with my jacket on top. My body was confused it seemed. I felt quite fresh mentally but my body was still not on the same page as it needed to be. I pondered my thoughts for a few minutes and texted back and forth with my wife. With the dread of 3 more loops in front of me and the coldness of the night I made the rash decision to call off my race. I was a Did Not Finish (D.N.F.) after 4 loops, 57.5 Mi into the race. I informed the race director and passed in my ankle timing tracker. This was simply not my day. I hobbled back to my car after packing up my things and took me with a rare incomplete finish to a ultramarathon. I was content with my decision as it was my choice, but still disappointed my body was unable to respond and never really recover from the heat and perhaps slight dehydration I had occurred out there in the Fort Davis mountains.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

RESULTS

Distance: 57.40 Mi | 92.38 km (completed 4 loops out of 7)
Elevation Gain: 10,338 ft+ | 3,151 m+
My 3rd Did Not Finish.
2022 SW100: 3 finishers & 9 D.N.F. = 25% completion rate | 75% D.N.F. rate

GEAR

Shirts: rabbit  LS & SS rabbitELITEtrail team kit
Shorts: rabbit  3" FKT rabbitELITEtrail team kit
Jackets: rabbit  elements
Shoes: Altra Olypmpus 4.0
Socks: Dry Max
Headwear: rabbit  (BOCO) rabbitELITEtrail cap
Sunglasses: goodr (couple different pairs)
Gloves: rabbit   (BOCO) 
Watch: Garmin fēnix® 6X - Pro Solar Edition
Lighting: kogalla RA Adventure Light (waistlamp) & Nathan Sports Halo Fire (headlamp)
Hydration: Nathan Sports VaporKrar 12L Race Pack, x2 20oz Nathan soft flasks, Trail Racing Over Texas collapsible cup
Anti Friction lube: Trail Toes
Gear Bags: Victory Sportdesign (Grizzly Backpack) 

----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Thank you for following along on my adventures.
Next up: The Game Backyard Ultra | Apr-09

Meding Baby #05 due Apr-20th (t.b.d.)
I will have to update my logo ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment