Monday, April 13, 2020

Quarantine Backyard Ultra

The Best Ultra Field Ever Gathered.

2,413 runners have gathered (virtually) as the pre-race meeting kicks off a mere 15 minutes prior to the start. I was dialed in with my iPad and connected on the Zoom app. Everything was working on my end. It was 07:45 on Saturday morning for me, as I am only 1 timezone over from the hosts. I was in a conference call with hundred of other runners from all over, here for the same thing: to share in the joy of running and enjoy a race together while not being together.

I've have been prepping for The Game - Backyard Ultra (which was ultimately cancelled like everything else in the spring/summer months due to the COVID-19 pandemic) and so I came into this race as a replacement for it which worked out great for timing.

I set up my own course in the style of Big's Backyard trying to stay true to Laz and his original concept. I would run my first 12 loops on an out & back style with a little trail on the end of it (sadly I live just far enough from the trails, but i got in what i could trail wise). Then the next 12 loops would be on a simple loop around my neighborhood, again similar to Big's where they run a plain road course at night.
My DAY loop. Out & Back with a bit of trail on the end (I wish I live closer to the trails for this particular race. I would love to have had full 4.17 mi trail route for sure!). About 20% streets, 65% bayou paths, 15% trail.
My NIGHT loop. A simple loop around the neighborhood all on 100% sidewalk paths.
The concept of Backyard Ultras is very simple. You run 4.16667 mi (6.706 km) every hour on the hour. If you finish in 40 mins, then you get 20 mins to rest and eat, etc... The brilliance of this race is that there are a million strategies to pace and divide up your time, none of which are superior to the next. Speed is not the decider of the race here, it is true grit and the will to continue on for another loop when that whistle goes for the next round.


Nice Houston rain.
I had a goal of trying to make it to 2 days, which would be 48 hours, 48 loops with very little sleep if any at all. I had my aid station set up in my garage as my home base during this virtual event. I had my table all setup with my snacks and food, and my daughters were eager to help crew.

The first few hours clicked by flawlessly and was somewhat boring as expected. Then the rain came around hour 6 and lasted off and on for the next 6 loops. I went through so many shirts and jackets trying to stay dry. The constant stopping and starting of the loops made it difficult to keep warm when not moving. But the good part was my closet of my gear was mere steps away, which i took full advantage of. My wife and kids took great care of me making pizza for lunch at one point, got some perogies, and awesome grilled cheese. Was truly the best aid station.
Starting Loop 11 in the rain still.
Super happy to have my family support me. Its what makes me the #ultrarunningdad. My kids were stoked to be able to hand me my coke, or chips, or just come out and say hi every hour. A very unique experience running a race at home.
My race was going well as I ticked off 100 miles, which was 24 loops, as the sun rose for day 2 of the race. I had gotten in a couple 10 minute naps between loops and was feeling optimistic about going deep into the second day. However during my 25th lap I drastically slowed down and had to take a large walking break which was a first of the kind thus far. I figured I'd just roll with it and hopefully I'd smooth it out soon. However the next lap was the same thing, and in fact was even slightly slower which was eating away at my rest break between hour starts. My right hip had become very tight and was not loosening up. I refused to quit in my chair and headed out on loop 27. After making a couple corners down the neighborhood I could feel it was not getting any better. I turned around and did the walk of shame back to my house to call my race and officially DNF.  I completed 26 loops officially and with the extra bit on my 27th loop I totaled 109.39 mi. I was in the top-41 of the 2,413 runners that started the Quarantine Backyard Ultra.
My loop splits. Was consistently around 0:37:00-0:40:00 until my hip gave me issues on the 25th trip out.
Red is my running time. Blue is my inter-loop time.

My STRAVA activty: https://www.strava.com/activities/3259166564
Distance: 109.39 mi | 26 loops officially (108.33 mi)
Total Elapsed Time: 26:10:18
Race time: 17:15:44 (65.96%) | average of 0:39:26 per loop
Inter-loop time: 08:54:34 (34.04%) | average of 0:20:34
Elevation gain: 1,850 ft+

Picture summary. A Picture after each lap complete, along with my final DNF picture after turning around on loop 27.
Post race care   :)


Gear Used

My Garmin Fenix6 Pro Solar only got down to 52% by the time I had uploaded and synced my activity already. I love this watch. Check out my blog write up on it if you want more info into my take on it: https://trevormeding.blogspot.com/2020/02/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-solar.html
(Note: I am not affiliated with Garmin. However I wouldn't mind...)

This was my 57th ultramarathon and my 15th distance of 100 miles or more. Thanks for following along!

----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Next up: some virtual TROT races
(http://www.trailracingovertexas.com/trot-virtual-races)
Looking into some FKT ideas as well during this period.





No comments:

Post a Comment